Alpe Adria Cycle Path for Families
From Salzburg to Villach on the Alpe Adria route
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Luggage transfers included
- Total cycling distance: approx. 175 km
Arrival in Salzburg
Individual arrival in the festival, Mozart and the cultural city of Salzburg. Winding alleys and squares invite you to stroll and dreamy cafes to real Austrian coffee specialities. At every turn, you breathe culture and history.
You cycle at your leisure out of Salzburg through the shady Salzachauen, the Salzach is your guideline. It goes to Hallein, a Celtic city that used to be rich through salt production. The main attraction is undoubtedly the world-famous Celtic Museum. Past the Gollinger waterfall, your overnight stay of the same name is quickly reached. Golling is known for its pretty market town and 13th-century castle.
TIP! Visit the natural spectacle Gollinger Wasserfall in the Torren (Roaring stream) district. (Adults approximately €7.00 / Children €5.00 to be paid on site) The beautiful and impressive waterfall plunges down over 75m in two stages, a sometimes rather steep forest path leads you up, and halfway through you cross the waterfall via bridges, along the force of the water all the way to the top of the waterfall.
From Golling, you cycle up to Pass Lueg-Höhe and enjoy the view of the beautiful and striking Tennen Mountains. The mountains are getting closer to the Salzach and the rumbling of the water is getting louder. You pass the so-called "Salzachöfen", an imposing gorge created by the Salzach. After Werfen with its towering castle, St. Johann is quickly reached. From Golling to Werfen, the journey over the Lueg Pass can be bridged/shortened by train (on your own, approx. min. 15 km).
The Salzach still accompanies you to Schwarzach and you continue by train to the romantic Gasteintal. You cycle via Dorfgastein and Bad Hofgastein to the well-known spa and winter sports resort of Bad Gastein at the foot of the Hohe Tauern, which has a large number of natural history and architectural sights. The landmark is the Gastein waterfall in the centre of the village.
On this short stage, you can really enjoy the surrounding mountains again. From Bad Gastein, it is only a stone's throw to Böckstein, where a train takes you through the Tauernschleuse to Mallnitz on the other side of the Alps in just 10 minutes. Back in the saddle, enjoy the long descent to your hotel in the Möll Valley.
Today you first cycle along the river Möll through impressive high mountain landscapes. The Drautal begins in the village of Möllbrücke and thus the sunny south of Austria. Calmly roll the last kilometres to Spittal an der Drau. The city was already an important transport hub for pilgrims in the Middle Ages and partly owed its prosperity to them.
Spittal – Villach
You slowly roll down along the Drau almost alone. Halfway through you should take a break in the small market town of Paternion. Pedal a few more times and you are already in Villach, the charming old town with its southern flair at its heart.
Return trip or extension
After breakfast, your journey comes to an end. Or do you want to enjoy the sun in Villach for a few more days?
You mainly cycle on well-developed cycle paths and quiet side streets. Only a few parts of the stages also lead to busy roads or unpaved roads. In general, the route is slightly undulating, bridging the most demanding section between St. Johann and the Gastein Valley by train.
| Season 1 |
29.04.2023 - 12.05.2023
30.09.2023 - 07.10.2023
| Season 2 |
13.05.2023 - 26.05.2023
09.09.2023 - 29.09.2023
| Season 3 |
27.05.2023 - 08.09.2023
|Alpe-Adria Cycle Path for Families, AT-AARSV-08X-FAM|
|Base price|| |
|Extra bed 0-5 years||0.00||0.00||0.00|
|Extra bed 6-11 years||429.00||429.00||429.00|
|Extra bed 12-14 years||649.00||649.00||649.00|
|Extra bed from 15 years||719.00||769.00||829.00|
|Single room surcharge||269.00||269.00||269.00|
- You will stay in carefully selected 3*** and 4**** Hotels and Gasthofes
Child prices are valid in a room with 2 full-paying adults. Costs for children under 6 years (e.g. cot) are to be paid on site.
| Season 1 |
Apr 29, 2023 - May 12, 2023
Sep 30, 2023 - Oct 7, 2023
| Season 2 |
May 13, 2023 - May 26, 2023
Sep 9, 2023 - Sep 29, 2023
| Season 3 |
May 27, 2023 - Sep 8, 2023
|Double room p.p.||85.00||85.00||99.00|
|Single room surcharge||59.00||59.00||59.00|
|-25% Discount for child 12-14 years in additional bed||65.00||65.00||75.00|
|-50% Discount for child 6-11 years in additional bed||45.00||45.00||49.00|
|Double room p.p.||89.00||89.00||89.00|
|Single room surcharge||55.00||55.00||55.00|
|-25% Discount for child 12-14 years in additional bed||69.00||69.00||69.00|
|-50% Discount for child 6-11 years in additional bed||45.00||45.00||45.00|
- 7 nights accommodation as described, including breakfast
- Train ride Böckstein-Mallnitz including bicycle
- Train ride Schwarzach-Gasteiner Tal including bicycle
- Personal welcome meeting (German, English)
- Luggage transfer(s) max. 1 piece of luggage 20 kg per person
- Travel folder 1 x per room (German, English with route and overview maps, detailed route description, places of interest, important telephone numbers, suitcase labels)
- GPS data available on request
- Service Hotline
- Tourist tax, if applicable, is to be paid locally
- Costs for children under 6 years (eg cot) are payable locally
- (Optional) Transfer back to Salzburg every Saturday morning, costs €99 per person, surcharge for own bicycle €29 per bicycle. Reservation required, payment in advance
- Airport: Salzburg, Vienna or Munich Airport(s)
- Train: Salzburg station
- Parking: Parking space approx. €15 per day, to be paid on site, reservation not possible. Public garage approximately €70 per week
- Return: The return journey by public transport from Villach to Salzburg has good connections, direct trains run every two hours, and the journey time is approximately 2.5 hours. Costs approximately €35 per person, excluding the bicycle. Check out www.omio.com
This is a sample hotel list. Hotels will be booked depending on availability.
Hotel Goldenes Theater 4****
Hotel Pension Golingen 3***
Hotel Brückenwirt 4****
Hotel Mondi 4****
Erlebnishotel Mölltal 3***
Hotel Ertl 4****
Hotel Seestuben 3***