West Highland Way
Scotland's iconic and most popular hiking trail
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Luggage transfers included
- Total walking distance: approx. 121 km
Arrival in Milngavie
"Mull'guy" is the name of this small town about 15 kilometres north of Glasgow. Explore the small pedestrian zone in the centre and stock up on supplies for the walking days ahead.
Milngavie – Drymen
The tour takes you out of the city through quiet woods and slowly brings you to the Highlands. On the way to Drymen you will pass the Glengoyne distillery.
Stop to taste a glass of whisky and learn more about how this Scottish speciality is made. Drymen is the last major stage stop for some time.
Drymen – Rowardennan
You climb "Conic Hill" and enjoy the views of Loch Lomond - the largest lake in Scotland. The descent takes you to Balmaha and then civilisation ends for a few kilometres. There are only narrow footpaths on the eastern shore of Loch Lomond. The hike is a poem.
One of the most beautiful stages on the West Highland Way. You walk on forest paths to the waterfall at Inversnaid. Afterwards, the path winds idyllically along the shore.
Uphill, downhill, left, right... The trail is unique and varied, offering views of small islands and passing the hideout of the bandit Rob Roy.
Short transfer to the Bridge of Orchy. Along an old military road you walk past countless deep black lochs. Today's destination is Kingshouse - a former trading post in the middle of the Scottish Highlands. You will even pass a small ski resort on the way.
Passing what is probably Scotland's most spectacular peak, the Buachaille Etive Mòr, you reach the "Devils Staircase". Soldiers who had to cross the numerous serpentines gave this pass its name.
You walk down into a picturesque valley, where there are wonderful views of the surrounding peaks. The small town of Kinlochleven offers some civilisation again after a few days in the unspoilt Highlands.
A longer stage completes the tour on the West Highland Way. From a plateau, you walk through quiet woods and past the ruins of a small fort until Ben Nevis is in sight. The walk into the town of Fort William completes the West Highland Way walk.
Departure or extension
Good basic fitness is essential for the West Highland Way. The ascents are usually no problem, but the long stages are strenuous. The route follows well-maintained footpaths and is perfectly signposted.
| Season 1 |
08.04.2023 - 28.04.2023
25.09.2023 - 07.10.2023
| Season 2 |
29.04.2023 - 24.09.2023
|West Highland Way, UK-SOWMF-08X|
|Base price|| |
|Single room surcharge||659.00||659.00|
Category: 3* hotels and B&Bs
| Season 1 |
Apr 8, 2023 - Apr 28, 2023
Sep 25, 2023 - Oct 7, 2023
| Season 2 |
Apr 29, 2023 - Sep 24, 2023
|Double room p.p.||85.00||85.00|
|Single room surcharge||29.00||29.00|
|Double room p.p||85.00||85.00|
|Single room surcharge||75.00||75.00|
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Daily luggage transfers (1 piece of luggage per person)
- Tour through the Glengoyne distillery, incl. tasting
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Extensive travel documents (1 x per room)
- GPS data available
- Service hotline
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Arrive by flight to Edinburgh or Glasgow. Take the bus to the city centre and then travel by train to Milngavie, a journey of 45 minutes to 1.5 hours
- Travel back by bus to Glasgow or Edinburgh. Approx. 3 – 4 hours. Reservation recommended. www.citylink.co.uk
- Transfer Glasgow Airport/City Centre to Milngavie daily, £70.- up to 4 persons approx. 0.5 h, reservation required, payable in advance.
- Transfer Edinburgh Airport to Milngavie daily, cost £135.- up to 4 persons approx.. 1 – 1.5 h, reservation required, payable in advance.
- Transfer from Fort William (between 09.30 and 17.00 hrs) to Glasgow Airport/ City Centre daily approx. 2.5 – 3 h, £245.- up to 4 persons, reservation required, payable in advance.
- Transfer from Fort William (between 09.30 and 16.00 hrs) to Edinburgh Airport daily approx.. 3 – 3.5 h, cost £315.- / Edinburgh City £325.- approx. 3.5 – 4 h, reservation required, payable in advance.
Other important information:
- The distance travelled is approximate and may differ from the actual distance.
- Travel cancellation insurance, including travel interruption insurance is recommended.