Mainz to Cologne: MS Olympia
Sailing on the mighty Rhine to Cologne
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Meals included
- Total cycling distance: approx. 177 km
Arrival in Mainz
Individual arrival in Mainz and embarkation between 3 pm and 5 pm. Use the evening for a relaxing stroll through the beautiful streets and squares of Mainz's Old Town.
Mainz – Rüdesheim
The Rhine and its surroundings show why the Upper Middle Rhine Valley is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Beautiful Rhine islands, steep slate rocks and many vineyards characterize the region near Rüdesheim. By bike, you pass Eltville, with the princely castle and Oestrich-Winkel, which features a historic wine barrel tap, on your route to Rüdesheim. Here a visit to the famous Drosselgasse is recommended.
Today you will cycle along the Rhine through the Upper Middle Rhine Valley, past romantic castles and castle ruins. You will see, among others, the castles Reichenstein and Rheinstein. And the famous Loreley Rock is on the way to St. Goar, today's stage destination. From the rock, you have a beautiful view of St. Goar and St. Goarshausen.
St. Goar – Koblenz
Boppard and the Marksburg are today possible stops on the way to Koblenz with the famous "German corner", where the Moselle and Rhine meet. From the Ehrenbreitstein Fortress, which is easily accessible by cable car, you can enjoy a fantastic view of the beautiful Rhine landscape. Cable car tickets are available on board.
Koblenz – Andernach
The route leads you past Neuwied with its castle Engers to Andernach, today's final destination. Like Koblenz, the city is considered to be one of the oldest in Germany. Famous is the Kaltwassergeysir, with its 50 to 60 metre high fountain which is considered the highest in the world. Experience historic Andernach with sights such as the Round Tower or visit the wine village of Leutesdorf, which can be reached by ferry from Andernach.
Andernach – Bonn
On the way to Bonn in Königswinter, a visit to Drachenburg Castle on the Drachenfels (steep climb) or a visit to Sea Life with its many marine life is certainly worthwhile. Finally, you reach Bonn. The former capital presents itself as "Rheinisch" cosy but also urban. Numerous international organizations are still based here and still bring an international flair to Beethoven's city.
Bonn – Cologne
Before reaching Cologne by bike, enjoy a nice stop in good weather on the "recreation island" Groov in the vast Rheinauen landscape of the Porz-Zündorf district of Cologne. After arriving in Cologne, you should definitely take the time for a tour of the old town, one of the many museums and modern Cologne, which can be seen, for example, in the Rheinauhafen with its Kranhäusern. Or visit the Cologne breweries with their famous beer, the Kölsch.
After breakfast, disembarkation until 09:00.
The quality of the bike paths is perfect. The cycle path usually runs on paved bicycle and service roads or quiet country roads with no significant inclines. That is why this trip is also suitable for inexperienced cyclists.
| Season 1 |
24.06.2023 | 22.07.2023 |
|Mainz - Cologne, MS Olympia, Main Deck, DE-RHSMK-08I-H|
|Base price|| |
|Fixed price in double cabin for single use||1,199.00|
|Mainz - Cologne, MS Olympia, Upper Deck, DE-RHSMK-08I-O|
|Base price|| |
|Fixed price in double cabin for single use||1,289.00|
- 7 nights in outside cabins on board the MS Olympia in the booked cabin category
- Full board: 7x breakfast buffet, 6x packed lunch for cycling or lunch snack, 6x coffee and tea in the afternoon, 7x 3-course evening menu
- Welcome cocktail
- Travel folder 1 x per room (German, English with route and overview maps, detailed route description, places of interest, important telephone numbers, luggage labels)
- GPS data available on request
- SE-Tours tour guide
- Bike rental
- Personal expenses
- Airport: Frankfurt
- Train: Mainz station, approx. 3 km from the pier
- Parking: Parking garage at Mainz Station (unguarded, not bookable) approx. €10 per day
- A minimum number of 75 people applies for this trip (at least 21 days before departure)
- Embarkation takes place between 3:00 PM and 5:00 PM, disembarkation after breakfast at the latest at 09:30 AM
- Bicycles on board are equipped with a hand brake, freewheel or coaster brake (limited availability, please specify when booking as a non-binding preference) and bicycle bag
- It is possible to bring your own bicycles, due to the limited space on the sundeck you can only bring your own bicycle on request and only to a limited extent. Any damage to your bike is at your own risk
- Daily cycling tours are individual and unaccompanied, the tour guide remains on board. It is not mandatory to cycle the route, you can also stay on board and sail to the next port
- This trip is not suitable for people with reduced mobility
- If the cycling stages and rest times allow, an excursion program is offered, this can only be booked on board and paid in cash. Depending on the composition of the participants, the excursions can be offered bilingually German-English
- Sailing times, schedule and program changes are in principle reserved. For example, if a route cannot be completed due to low tide, high tide or bad weather, the captain reserves the right to change the route for your safety (this is not a valid reason to cancel your trip free of charge)
- Engine and generator noises can be heard in the cabins at the front and rear of the ship
Comfortable and cosy river ship with family environment. The ship was refurbished in 2015/2016.