Salzburg to the Tyrol
Mountains, Lakes and Mozart on the St. James Way
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Luggage transfers included
- Total walking distance: approx. 118 km
Individual arrival in the Trumer Lakes area.
Transfer to the border to Oberhofen am Irrsee, where the Salzburg Jakobsweg begins. First, your walk leads through a hilly landscape to the Wallersee. From there you continue your route through the idyllic nature reserve to Eugendorf.
In the distance, you can already see the mountains that you will walk along the next few days. Take a leisurely stroll to Salzburg, where you'll find beautiful churches, pretty alleys and squares, and the best way to invigorate your inner being with a portion of Salzburg dumplings. A detour to the Maria Plain pilgrimage church, which towers high above Salzburg, is recommended.
Your walk leads out of town towards Untersberg. At Marzoll Castle, you cross the border into the Bavarian Rupertiwinkl before arriving at the remarkable salt metropolis of Bad Reichenhall. There you can relax in the warm brine of the thermal baths, visit the spa gardens and visit the old salt factory.
Today you follow the Saalach back to the Salzburg region. You walk along the Saalachsee and deeper into the mountains. Your path leads partly directly to the banks of the Saalach, which flows wildly but also romantically over rocks through the landscape.
You continue to follow the Saalach, past gorges and waterfalls to Lofer. The quiet mountain town, surrounded by the impressive peaks of the Loferer Steinberge, the Reiter Alpe and the Loferer Alm, invites you to take a rest. Then it goes up to the Strubpass, where you now walk on the Tyrolean Jakobsweg to Waidring.
Past Pillersee with its glittering water surface and famous pilgrimage church, we continue to St. Jakob, where the mighty Jakobskreuz greets you from the mountaintop. A path with many views leads you to St. Johann in Tirol, idyllically situated between the Kitzbüheler Alpen and the rocky peaks of the Wilder Kaiser massif.
Return trip or extension
Your walking holiday ends after breakfast, but you can of course postpone the goodbye and make more memories by extending your trip.
The routes are generally easy, with two long legs that can be shortened by bus if desired. You usually walk on asphalt paths, forest paths and hiking trails. The height differences are very small because you are walking in the valley.
| Season 1 |
29.04.2023 - 14.05.2023
18.09.2023 - 07.10.2023
| Season 2 |
15.05.2023 - 18.06.2023
28.08.2023 - 17.09.2023
| Season 3 |
19.06.2023 - 27.08.2023
|Salzburg to the Tyrol, AT-SBWJW-08X|
|Base price|| |
|Single room surcharge||139.00||139.00||139.00|
- You will stay in carefully selected 3*** Hotels and guesthouses
| Season 1 |
Apr 29, 2023 - May 14, 2023
Sep 18, 2023 - Oct 7, 2023
| Season 2 |
May 15, 2023 - Jun 18, 2023
Aug 28, 2023 - Sep 17, 2023
| Season 3 |
Jun 19, 2023 - Aug 27, 2023
|Double room p.p.||65.00||65.00||65.00|
|Single room surcharge||15.00||15.00||15.00|
|Double room p.p.||79.00||89.00||89.00|
|Single room surcharge||25.00||25.00||25.00|
|St. Johann in Tirol|
|Double room p.p.||65.00||75.00||75.00|
|Single room supplement||29.00|
|Single room surcharge||29.00||29.00|
- 7 nights as described, including breakfast
- Transfer Trumer Seen-Oberhofen
- Personal welcome meeting (German, English)
- Luggage transfer(s)
- Travel folder 1 x per room (German, English with route and overview maps, detailed route description, places of interest, important telephone numbers, luggage labels)
- GPS data available on request
- Service Hotline
- Tourist tax, if applicable, to be paid locally
- (Optional) Return transfer St. Johann-Salzburg or Trumerseen €99 per person for 2 persons, €198 per person for 1 person. Pre-booking required, to be paid in advance
- Airport: Salzburg and Munich Airport(s)
- Train: Salzburg station and about 45 minutes by bus to the Trumer Lakes
- Parking: Free parking at the hotel, pre-booking not required
- Departure: St. Johann in Tirol-Salzburg by train, approx. 2.5 hours and by bus to the Trumer Lakes
This is a sample hotel list. Hotels will be booked depending on availability.
Gasthof Mitterhof 3***
Landhotel Santner 3***
Hotel Ganslhof 3***
Hotel Bergfried & Schönblick 3***
Landhotel Kirchenwirt 3***
Hotel Tiroler Adler 3***
St. Johann in Tyrol
Sporthotel Austria 4****