Ireland's Western Way
Connemara, Aran Islands and the Cliffs of Moher
- 8 Days / 7 Nights
- Luggage transfers included
- Total walking distance: approx. 79 km
Individual arrival in Doolin
The Cliffs of Moher rise over 120 metres from the Atlantic Ocean. This impressive cliff landscape provides the backdrop for your first day of hiking. In the morning a short transfer to Liscannor and from here you follow the Cliffs of Moher Trail, which takes you directly along the cliffs back to Doolin.
In the morning transfer to the ferry and drive to Inis Mor, the largest island of the Aran Islands. Stone walls have been piled up as far as the eye can see to cultivate the barren soil.
The walk takes you past a seal colony to the world-famous ruins of Dún Aenghus (UNESCO World Heritage Site). By the time you arrive, the tourist crowds have already moved on and you can take your time to examine this spectacular site. Afterwards, hike back to Cill Rónáin.
The Aran Islands are considered the centre of Gaelic language and music. If you are interested in customs, you can discover a lot here. If you would rather get out into the fresh air, rent a bike or lace up your hiking boots to discover the many other buildings and fortifications on the island.
In the morning, take the ferry back to the mainland to Ross a' Mhil. Here you will be picked up and taken to the starting point of the walk at Lough Boffin.
The stage takes you through a colourful mixed forest and ends on the shores of Lough Corrib. Continue through beautiful moorland until you reach the end point of today's walk. Short transfer to your accommodation.
In the morning transfer back to the valley of Tiernakill. The Maumturk Mountains are one of the highlights of the Great Western Way. On the way up, the landscape seems almost mountainous, but a view of the endless green hills and the many sheep show why Connemare is one of the most beautiful corners of Ireland.
Arriving at the pass of Maum Ean, a mystical site awaits you. St. Patrik visited this place a long time ago. A small chapel, Celtic crosses and a statue of St. Patrik make this a sacred place. You will end the day with a descent to Lough Inagh.
Trees are a rare commodity in Ireland, but today's stage takes you through several forests at once. The stage itself is varied. You leave the hills of the Maumturk Mountains and the 12 Bens behind you and soon reach flatter terrain. Your destination is the small coastal village of Leenane, picturesquely situated at the end of Killary Fjord.
Departure or extension
For the hike on the Cliffs of Moher Trail you need to be free from vertigo. For the other stages you need to be in good physical condition for hikes of up to 20 kilometres. Surefootedness is an advantage on the descent from the Maum Ean Pass.
| Season 1 |
06.04.2024 - 26.04.2024
28.09.2024 - 13.10.2024
| Season 2 |
30.03.2024 - 05.04.2024
27.04.2024 - 27.09.2024
|Ireland's Western Way, IR-COWDL-08X|
|Base price|| |
|Single room surcharge||439.00||439.00|
Hotel information: You will stay in country hotels and B&Bs.
| Season 1 |
Apr 6, 2024 - Apr 26, 2024
Sep 28, 2024 - Oct 13, 2024
| Season 2 |
Mar 30, 2024 - Apr 5, 2024
Apr 27, 2024 - Sep 27, 2024
|Double room p,p||75.00||75.00|
|Single room surcharge||29.00||29.00|
|Double room p.p||95.00||95.00|
|Single room surcharge||35.00||35.00|
- 7 overnight stays as stated, breakfast included
- Luggage transfer (from day 5)
- Transfers and ferry crossings according to programme
- Carefully elaborated route description
- Detailed travel and tour documents
- Service hotline
- Tourist tax, if due, is not included in the price
- Luggage transfer Aran Islands (with ferry crossings luggage needs to be taken autonomously)
- Organised transfer from Leenane to Westport, £60.- per way, reservation required, payable on spot.
- Airport Dublin or Shannon.
- Airport Dublin. Via Citylink bus (www.citylink.ie) to Galway, approx. 2.5 hours. Or from Dublin Heuston via train (www.irishrail.ie) to Galway, approx. 2 hours. From Galway via bus (www.buseireann.ie) to Doolin, duration approx. 2 hours.
- Airport Shannon via bus and train to Doolin, approx. 2.5 hours.
- Organized transfer from Leenane to Westport available. Westport via train to Dublin Heuston, approx. 3.5 hours.
Other important information:
- The distance travelled is approximate and may differ from the actual distance.
- Travel cancellation insurance, including travel interruption insurance is recommended.